Stuff to download
You will need all of these to be able to get a render done.
Get the latest veresion of the script here:
http://xzzy.org/halo/gmax_render/Yafray-Export-v11.ms (updated March 23,
The latest version of the Yafray-Material is here. This should go into
your scripts/startup/ folder wherever you installed gmax:
(updated Martch 23, 2004)
Version 11 updates some interface features, it introduces the scaling
feature that will hopefully resolve some of the lighting/speckles problems
that some exports. Full change list:
- Rendered tga file now recieves the same name as the gmax file (ie,
foobar.gmax will render as foobar.tga).
- Added spinners for controlling size of the resulting render.
- Added scene-wide scaling to improve results in Yafray.
- Put interface back into utilties menu, based on user feedback.
- Split yafray-material and export script into seperate files.
The MAXScript Listener grabber. Latest version is known to run under
(updated March 24, 2004)
As always, the docs are a work in progress. I like to think I've done
well enough that a relative newbie can get some appreciable results but
mileage may vary. Some pages I have set up:
- Interface Reference - Summary of features
available from within Gmax.
- Executive Summary - This page gives a very
brief overview of the proceedure so more experienced folks can get started
and get on with thier lives.
- Complete Walkthrough - For everyone else.
- Known Issues - Yes, there are bugs. This tries
to cover all of them.
- Troubleshooting - An attempt to document
- Xzzy's .OBJ Tool - A simple maxscript
that handles importing and exporting of the .OBJ file format, maintaining UV
coordinates if they exist. Been getting reports it's kind of buggy, so use
at your own risk. It serves my purposes just fine though.
Everyone's gotta have 'em, so here's mine.
- Version 9 changes: Global illumination, whee!
- Version 7 and 8 featured reflections.. two additions are reflective
materials for non-textured objects, and background images.
- Version 6! Still didn't support multi-material types but everything
else was working.. bump maps, specular maps, alpha transparency, and UV
coordinates. Basically everything you need to get really sexy lookin'
renders. ;) For example:
Kept around just 'cause.
- 01-test - Very first gmax->yafray export
- 01-mudslide - Early scene export. Used
hemilight (a method of global illumination) and no textures.
- 02-mcrender - Shot with early texture
support. UV coordinates only half worked. Also made a high-res version of
the same image here.
- 03-bumpmap - Early bumpmapping support.
- Visor -
Early reflection support.
- 03-base_lo - One of my textured scenes.
Just a few pages I used to help me along the way: